Saturday, April 25, 2009

Visit to the White House










Today I was lucky to get a tour of the White House (the famous 3 room tour of the East Wing). It was a beautiful day and I was very excited to be there, given its huge significance to our country. My favorite room was the Red Room in which Rutherford B. Hayes took the oath of office and he happens to be my relative. I also saw the china that he used for eating when he was president. I also enjoyed seeing the library (pictured above) and the various portraits of a number of past presidents.  After the visit, I went to the White House Visitor's Center... this is such a joke and it is so small! Unfortunately, I was hoping for something more educational, interactive, and with a better gift shop. What I found were a number of "replicated" chairs, pictures, and portraits, the originals of which are found in the White House. The one thing that I did like about the visitor's center was the small "White House" (pictured above). So all in all, it was a fantastic and exciting day in the lovely Capitol of DC.

No comments: