Friday, April 24, 2009

Newly opened database shows airplane bird strikes not rare

I know the talk surrounding bird strikes has dropped a bit since the congressional hearing, but it is still something that I see as having an important implication for the safety of airplane travel. I don't think most citizens could have imagined how many strikes there have been in the last twenty years. Almost 100,000 in twenty years is a huge number that does give me a better perspective on what actually goes on during flights. Whenever I travel on planes I tend not to think about what is going on during the flight and although I don't think I will be worrying about a bird strike the next time I get on one, the number just seems to be sticking out in my mind. Fortunately we have not seen many deaths as a result of birds, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be preparing to fix some of the potential problems down the road. Investing in the radar technology that is in place at some of the airports around the country would probably be a benefit to safety precautions. The plane is typically one of safest means of transportation and I don't see the bird strikes as causing that to decrease, but it is just gives you an interesting idea to consider when flying out of places like Dulles.

No comments: