Thursday, April 23, 2009

My meeting with Ike

Today I had the privilege of going to meet with the Chairman of the Armed Services Committee Ike Skelton. It was probably one of the best political experiences that I have ever had in that he called me into his office and talked with me about my future and how to accomplish the goals that I have set out for myself. Although I wouldn't have been able to has this opportunity without my Congressman setting it up for me, it was one that I feel was rewarding for both of us. Ike really enjoyed talking about his career prior to Congress when he practiced law in Missouri and then he showed me pictures of his life in politics. He even let me hold a letter written to him from former President Truman regarding the decision to allow MacArthur to take over during the war. The fact that he took about 15 minutes out of his day to speak one-on-one with me is quite refreshing to me given how I have seen many other members simply make a brief appearance and then move onto something else. Not only did he have great wisdom to share in his rise to Congress, but he also provided me with a chance to see history with his mementos he's collected over the years. It was a meeting that quite frankly he did not have to do much more than take a photograph, but it meant a lot to me that he cared to get to know me as well.

No comments: