Thursday, February 9, 2012

CPAC

Even though I am not an up-and-coming conservative, I thought it would be interesting to attend CPAC this weekend. To be fair, I am not exactly a liberal either. However, I do feel it is important to hear out both sides of the political spectrum as much as I can and I feel that this conference is a prime opportunity to do so. I find it ironic that four years ago, CPAC is where Mitt Romney chose to end his campaign for the presidency. This time, I feel that his speech here will be just as significant, but for a completely different reason. In front of an audience that is still trying to find a candidate they can fight for in the 2012 election, Romney truly has a chance to prove he is the right person to take on this challenge. His speech tomorrow has been dubbed to be the "most anticipated" of the event. Some of his running-mates in the race for the Republican nomination will also be speaking- Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich will also have time to voice their opinions. It will be interesting to see what all three of them will have to say, what they will talk about, and how they will attempt to motivate fellow conservatives that have seemed to lose faith that there is an electable Republican in the few candidates that are left. Noticably missing from the line-up of speakers is Dr. Ron Paul, as he has decided to campaign in Maine this weekend instead. There has been talk that CPAC snubbed him, but his son Senator Rand Paul from Kentucky is set to speak today. I'm curious to see how all of this action will play out in the news and to see the results of the CPAC Straw Poll at the end of the three days.

No comments: