Sunday, February 12, 2012

CPAC day 2...Reagan Count at 29

Friday I attended the second day of the CPAC conference. Unfortunately (but actually fortunately) I did not get there early enough to hear Santorum speak live...but I did hear and see him on one of the many tvs in the venue. Santorum was not wearing a sweater vest (shocking, I know) although two boys of his small army of children were wearing them. Represent. The thing that stood out to me most about Santorum's speech was that, in order to distinguish himself from Romney, he was arguing that conservative voters should vote for the candidate who has the strongest ideology and stance on issues, not the most electable. An interesting tactic, because news flash, doesn't matter what your ideology or platform is, if you aren't in a position to enact it.

Luckily, I managed to find a seat to hear Romney speak. Now, Romney actually impressed me. I was totally with him on his economic platform and stances...his business sense and background gives him a lot of credence when discussing balancing budgets and cutting unnecessary programs.
<--always with the founding father argument.

To me, Romney's speaking style sounds like an oratory blend of Bush Jr and Obama---he has a slight accent reminiscent of Bush and takes lots of pregnant pauses, much like Obama.

Back to the content of his speech, I was totally with him...until he discussed being anti-gay marriage (in relation to his governorship of Massachusetts) and hating on planned parenthood. That's when I came back to my senses and realized that jk, he still is a conservative. But that being said, for moderate and independent voters to whom the economy is the most salient and important issue, I think Romney can win a lot of their support and votes. After hearing Santorum, and Gingrich (later in the day) speak, there is no question in my mind that Romney is the ONLY Republican candidate who has a shot at beating Obama. After hearing Romney speak, I think he could really give Obama a run for his money (let's hope they nominate Gingrich as their candidate!)
all smiles this one
After Romney I went back to the apartments to grab a quick lunch and meet up with Ellie to hear Newt, and ran into some Occupiers. 
Occupy CPAC...to which the CPACers replied, "get a job!" #classwarfare?

Ellie and I managed to get seats to hear Gingrich speak, which was disappointingly un-crazy. I was hoping for at least some sort of reference to a moon-base, but instead he spent the majority of the speech distancing himself from "the GOP establishment" in what I assume is an effort to rally teapartyers and other anti-establishment conservatives. In addition to his anti-establishment theme, the other part of his speech that stood out was the specifics he offered for his intended policies. Newt offered specific plans for executive orders regarding tax rates, job creation and program cuts. 

I think his spirit animal is a pug...think about it. 

Overall attending CPAC was an interesting experience...one that in many ways terrified me for the future of our country. There was a panel of conservative women who essentially were arguing that liberal women should never say that they don't need a man to be happy...and that every women should get married and immediately start a family. Sorry, last time I checked it was 2012, not 1950...#actuallynotsorry.

But like I said, an interesting experience....but I am so glad it is over. 
CPAC bump!

4 comments:

Dylan Wulderk said...

Hahaha. I love the Reagan count. Although I'm surprised it wasn't significantly higher. Congrats on surviving a weekend of torture!

Greg Hyman said...

CPAC bump.

B. De Graff said...

Dylan, you mean education.

I wouldn't say that had anything to do with class warfare by the Amy.. I think that some people feel entitled when they shouldn't be. The Occupy movement really bothers me for a number of reasons.

1. They are so disorganized- which makes their movement seem like it is based on raw emotion (which it is) and discredits it right away. They will never get anything done or achieve.

2. I also do not understand how they think sitting in a park or asking CPAC for one will get them a job. You EARN a job through hard work. Chlling in a park (for lack of better words) is not hard work, it is the opposite.

3. They contribute nothing to society and have proven violent in many areas in the country, inluding DC and Oakland. What happened in Oakland with the burning of American flags and other destruction in the government buildings was unexceptable and unpatriotic. The fact that the Whitehouse refused to condemn these actions is extremely disapointing to me and I know that I am not alone, and it is not only because I am a republican, its because I am an American. Even the Hamilton College administration would have given these protesters ELEVEN points and a semester off with these actions.


4. What is this 1 percent thing.. an exaggeration obviously, but I still do not understand it.. If they can come up with a definition and a list of people that belong to it, then I might be more on board, but currently I am really lost.

5. It is frustrating to see that these people are looking for others to help them improve their situation by making a scene. The feelings of entitlement and dependence on the government in this country in terms of getting a job and/or the wellfare state are unbelievable. It reveals what's very wrong with America to the very core. This is very scary to me. This so called 'movement' really exposes the fact that this country needs to be put back on track.

**Call me insensitive- but I really think these people are especially harming themselves. Sitting idol is not the way to go about it.. PLEASE try something else. Also I don't think 'get a job' is the best advice either.. 'How about please make a strong effort to find a job and/ or contribute something unique to society, instead of sitting and whining about your situation.'

Thanks, sorry guys, just needed to vent. It really frustrates me.

Ellie said...

CPAC was definitely an interesting experience. As Amy mentioned, I was only there for the afternoon, but as a "bedwetting Liberal," I think I can comfortably say that I got my fair share of Conservatism for the day.

I did hear Gingrich speak, but for me that wasn't the most eye-opening part of the day. The first person I hear speak was Wayne LaPierre, Executive Vice President of the NRA. Now, that was an eye-opening experience. Filled with frightening anecdotes and dramatic videos that came off as straight-up propaganda, his speech really did make me squirm. It's one thing to be in favor of gun ownership; it's another to argue in favor of it as this man did.

The second-most "enlightening" part of the day for me was the panel of conservative women that Amy briefly touched upon in her post. Some of them literally scorned a woman's desire and ambition to be her own person and pursue her own personal goals after getting married and having a child. I absolutely believe that family is important, but I also feel that pursuing a career while balancing other aspects of one's life is nothing to be frowned upon. I don't think that's a liberal viewpoint- I think that's a modern viewpoint. But, then again, I am a Liberal, so who am I to say?

All in all, despite the fact that I personally disagreed with much of what the speakers were saying, I'm glad I took the opportunity to go to this event. It was an educational experience that allowed me to briefly, but completely, immerse myself in a different ideology from my own, which I may not have voluntarily done otherwise.