Friday, May 8, 2009

Statue of Liberty's crown to reopen July 4

I think this a great move by President Obama because we need something to lift our spirits up on the special day this year. The timing could not be better for opening up the crown to tourists because we need to be showing that we continue to stand strong even during tough times. I have only been able to visit the Statue of Liberty once and it occurred after 9/11 so I was not able to go up to the crown, but I can only imagine what it feels like being at the very top of the structure. The one thing that I believe could be done differently is the lottery system that is going to be put in place. The details haven't exactly been disclosed but for the lucky 30 individuals who get to go up each hour, it will sure be a treat. It is very appropriate to maintain the standards of safety and security of everyone in the area and so the extra checkpoint individuals must go through is necessary. This marks one of the big moves that Ken Salazar has made in his new post and I can see other needed changes coming in the future.

No comments: