Friday, May 1, 2009

CDC chief: No need to avoid public transportation

With all of the media hype surrounding the swine flu it has caught my attention wherever I go and people are trying to take extra precautions as a result. When I got on the metro yesterday afternoon people were reluctant to hold onto the bars to steady themselves and shifted quite a bit as a result. Some people even were using little purell bottles to clean their hands and wade off germs. At the office, we had to get 12 bottles of hand sanitizer from the supply store and everyone had to wash their hands with it before continuing work. I thought it was a little overkill, but it still was something that the office felt was necessary given how bad the cold season hit and forced people to miss time from their desks. Just thinking about how it could impact us on an everyday basis does help make us more aware of the problems with using the same spaces and objects that others do like in metro cars or airplanes. That is something I had not concentrated too much attention to before, but I can see the value in taking in your surroundings and taking some precaution when necessary. I am glad to hear that the Center for Disease Control does not think we should be avoiding public transportation because of the constant use of many citizens.

No comments: