Tuesday, May 5, 2009

DoD paid Murtha's nephew's company

Even though I don't believe that Representative John Murtha went out of his way to get his nephew's company funding from the government, it does seem odd to me that a story like this would be coming to light. I can see how his constituents would love him for all of the money that he brings back to his state, but from a national perspective I think his consistent pressure on the earmarks and projects the government doles out is a bit too much. In all reality, I do not really care which companies or states receive funding if the projects and services they are providing maximize and bring the most profits back to the country and so I cannot blame Murtha if he actually feels this is the case. To that end, Murtha's nephew probably does do pretty good work for the Pentagon or else they would not have been given the contract, but the lack of competition over a contract in this economy is curious to me. With the recent report from the defense department indicating how a lot of money has been wasted and misused over the past few years, I think it is important to get the most out of everything that we spend and I think competition probably would aid in this process.

No comments: