Friday, May 1, 2009

Capitol Power Plant to stop use of coal

It looks like the rally and march that environmental activists had earlier this year is paying some dividends for the Capitol Power Plant. I remember watching them march through my office window and thinking of the implications it would have on the future. With the all the attention on newer and cleaner energy sources, it does not surprise me that the Capitol will be leading by example. The question remains how quickly and how expensive the overhaul will occur. I do not doubt the benefits that can be accrued from a manuever to natural gas instead of coal, but it is going to be very expensive and it will take a lot of time to put into full force. It is a decision that will make the overall energy bill something for citizens to take notice of. I know that I have not given to much thought to how my surroundings become pleasant to be around and it is decisions like this that make me take a look at how energy is being used. Now the decision to transition into alternative energy is something that I think can be beneficial especially in states like Arizona where the solar industry could thrive if technology is put together in the right form, but the cost is going to be pretty high no matter how we attack this issue and the length of time that we have to address this issue is indeterminable despite President Obama's desire to move quickly. We have to do what is best for the short term and the long run and that is a question Congress and the President will ultimately have to make.

No comments: