Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Cannon building is crumbling

Just reading this report gave me a bit of perspective on the state of the Cannon office building that I frequently visited during my time on the Hill. I did notice some of the air conditioning problems that were documented, but I was unaware of the age of the system. I think that unless we are considering a new office building for the House, then we need to get some of these renovations put into place as soon as we can. Given the safety concerns with leaky pipes and damage to walls, it is just a matter of time before things get really messy and we will have to gut a major portion of the building. We may as well just get the work done now and save ourselves some hassles in the future. Given the number of people that come through the building on a given day, we could experience a major problem if the limestone starts falling and crumbling to the ground. I know that renovations will be expensive and with the economy the way it is money is tough to come by for Congress, but this just seems like a no-brainer type of spending that should occur in the near future. Hopefully, they will appropriate adequate funding to the renovation project because if not we may face significant damage down the road.

No comments: