Sunday, September 13, 2009

Close Encounters of the Teabagging Kind

Last night on the Metro, I was sitting next to a woman holding an Arizona state flag. I asked her if she was part of the festivities, and when she said "yes," I asked her why she came all the way out to DC this weekend. She said she was here to protect our Constitution. She said she wasn't here to protest against Barack Obama in particular; she said she would gladly protest against any President who was violating the Constitution. I asked her if she was referring to Obama's health care bill, and she said she was actually outraged by the passage of S2028, a new pandemic flu preparation law in Massachusetts that would allow authorities to raid residences of people who have swine flu. Then, she told me that she was also outraged that Obama has been packing his administration with certified communists like Van Jones. She explained to me that these 30 or so appointments were against the "checks and balances" clause of our Constitution because the Supreme Court has not approved these nominations.

Anyone else get to talk to teabaggers yesterday?

2 comments:

Andre said...

Is she really that off base?
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/53280

Olivia W. said...

Well, she is off-base in the sense that the Senate, not the Supreme Court, is the branch of government that is responsible for approving presidential nominees for cabinet positions, ambassadors, other public ministers and consults, and judges of the Supreme Court. But Obama's czars are simply advisors. They don't have any real power.

Also, I didn't intend to judge this tea party participant. I just posted verbatim what she told me.