Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Real Washington

Allen describes what I think is a very accurate portrayal of two different Washingtons. The first is the one I walked through on my first days here; a land of marble columns and statues that impressed the hell out of me (and to be fair, I'm still more than a little impressed). But with every morning commute I feel more and more like Allen's "real" Washingtonian. To Allen, the true Washington is comprised of suburban streets and shady parks, of down-to-earth workers who disdain opulence. Living in the "real" Washington carries with it a sense of silent superiority, and I would be lying if I said I haven't found myself enjoying a slight self-important smile when watching groups of tourists roll by on their segway tour. It's cool to be a local, and it's even cooler to be a "true" Washingtonian (even if I'm only faking it for a few months). But maybe one day I'll pass the Capital on my way to work and won't even care to turn and admire it; that would be the coolest.

No comments: