Sunday, September 27, 2009

Obama: Kids need more time in school

I feel like this article is speaking to issues in inner-city schools, though Obama's statements imply that he wants to increase instructional time at all U.S. schools. I had a 7-hour school day throughout K-12 (7:50am-2:50). Especially as I got older, between school, after-school sports, music and community service, I had very little time to spend with friends/family and pursuing personal interests and hobbies. If anything, Obama should be encouraging funding for teachers to get Master's degrees in their fields and spend more time training to make the most of existing class time.

1 comment:

Holly said...

But you clearly had things to do outside of that class time that wasn't a waste of time...consider all the students out there who are much better off IN school then crusing the streets or avoiding after school programs. I would have also complained during grade school that i didn't have enough free time at home even to do my homework...but I don't really think it's our experience he's trying to target or combat here. I think if kids were in school longer, it might at the very least keep them AWAY from worse alternatives?