Monday, September 21, 2009

Border Battle

The interactive chart in the link above is merely a means to illustrate how prevalent drugs are throughout the country, particularly hard drugs such as cocaine. I don't think it will be necessarily a shock to anyone how prevalent drugs are (unless maybe if you're from Rhode Island). However, I am curious to here peoples opinions on the cartel carnage occurring at our nations southern border. It seems obvious that we have a crisis on our hands, but will it be resolved before it becomes a far more serious crisis. It seems to me that there is no forum to address this issue given the plethora of other items on the agenda. Maybe I am putting too much emphasis on the severity of the situation; however, my experience watching Gangland on the history channel has made me very uneasy about the whole situation. Any thoughts would be great

1 comment:

Holly said...

I agree, and actually, it IS tied to a lot of current issues on the agenda, isn't it? The economy is effected by black market goods and illegal imports etc...in that it disrupts normal market activity not to mention it may be an attractive business venture for people who have lost thier jobs and desperately need money? Also, with public health in mind...how good can a huge market for illegal, hard drugs be good for the nation's health? I'm not sure, but I'd assume that a lot of uninsured Americans also show up at hospitals with overdose issues and drug related "injuries" that incur fees that the hospitals and the government must then swallow? It seems to me stopping these drug cartels might actually have some very welcome side effects?