Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Walmart Lawsuit-Cui Bono?

I have gotten into a number of interesting debates with friends of mine in Women's Studies classes over the past two years. One of the most recurrent debates has been Walmart's treatment of women. While there is an abundance of evidence that suggests women faced discrimination as part of a Walmart policy, there is also a lot of evidence to the contrary. This article argues that the Supreme Court should not permit the lawsuit to turn into the largest class-action lawsuit in history. I agree, but I am not immobile on this topic. It seems to me that each of these women encountered discrimination to varying degrees (if they encountered it at all). This would, in my opinion, preclude them from entering into a class action lawsuit. One thing is certain, Feminists and Business Execs will be sweating this decision until it comes out in late June.

No comments: