Thursday, November 12, 2009

Kiplinger

I found the Kiplinger excerpt particularly relevant, as my family was just in the District for a weekend visit. My grandmother Helen, now 83 years old and going strong, reminisced about her own experience in the city with my late grandfather. For much of the time we spent walking around the National Mall, Smithsonian museums, and up and down Connecticut Avenue, she spoke at length about her own honeymoon trip here. One of the honeymoon couples that Kiplinger referenced in his writing, my grandmother and grandfather borrowed $500 (a lot of money in 1948) and came here for a week during the fall. Among her fond memories of the trip were a 4 hour bus tour of the sights of the city, eating at some of the swankiest restaurants, spotting her congressman near the Capitol, and staying at the Shoreham Hotel, where we by chance stayed this past weekend. I remember her saying that the city had held a, "certain magic, or allure I suppose...for the young. I see so many young people walking around and so I guess that is still true." This city is indeed a wonderful place to be young.

I love the timeless nature of this city. Much of what Kiplinger wrote about the volume of tourists that come to the city, the monuments, museums and atmosphere can be translated to what the city is today. In short, what draws people to the city year after year has not changed. Washington is still and will always be a city for visitors.

No comments: