Thursday, November 12, 2009

Go Far

The ride up New York Avenue away from the capital is, I imagine, not unlike the ride up any of the famous avenues in D.C. To get New York from the infamous Calvert Woodley Apartments you must take Massachusetts Ave, where within a few minutes of the abode you pass the prestigious Brookings Institution and CATO Institute. I am often overwhelmed by the serious façade of Brookings. Walter will probably strangle me for saying this, but it reminds me of the leftover Communist records buildings I’d seen in Belgrade years ago. I don’t mean that in such a pejorative sense as it may seem, the building just seems to breathe a brand of seriousness that doesn’t sit well with me. Regardless, you continue the journey along Massachusetts to Mount Vernon Square. In the center of the square is a spot on remake of a Roman Villa Rotunda, very reminiscent of the classical Hill buildings. Once you pass Mt. Vernon Square you hit New York and begin the part of the ride I enjoy the most. Now you pass the discount/used car shops with weathered sales man sell White Broncos and early ‘90’s Impalas. Abandoned (or at least appear to be abandoned) warehouses dawn colorful murals of presidents and peace activists passed. An advertisement that spans the length of a warehouse introducing the new Hennessey is a particular favorite. There is an outdoor plant shop the sells palm trees that would look ideal next to our kitchen table. My point, is that I agree whole-heartedly with Kiplinger that there is a D.C. seldom seen that has a color and vibrancy that I think is often forgotten. The soul of a city, in my opinion, does not come in those places that can be seen on a double-decker tour bus, but rather in those nooks and cranny’s that are off the beaten path. If you haven’t taken that I ride I highly suggest it, let me know what you think.

No comments: