Sunday, January 25, 2009

Obama Takes His Seat at the Throne

The inauguration began for me at around 8, I overslept and then scrambled to wake up a fellow roommate who I will call "Nehs" (in order to conceal true identity of those who may or may not be involved with the rest of this story). After convincing him that it was not 5 AM (the agreed upon wake up time)rather it was 8 am and we needed to go, we skipped to the metro station in an effort to witness the same thing everyone else was seeking HISTORY. Well we then rode the metro a bit, waded through the throngs of people all completely lost in downtown Washington and finally made it to Washington Monument.
I did not know this at the time but Washington monument is nowhere near the capitol building; Nehs may have used different words but there was no way that this was close. In an effort to get closer we talked to just about every type of law enforcement that exists short of the SWAT team; whom I am sure was wading in the bushes waiting for some unruly Palin supporter to pounce on. What we gathered from the multiple people that protect our nation was that nobody had a clue what was happening, but what they were able to tell us was that we would not be getting any closer to President Obama than the road that sits 300 yards in front of Washington Monument. This was an unexpected twist of fate that would lead to your two main characters choosing different paths to watch Obama's ascension.
My compadre Nehs decided that he did not need to witness this event in person and told me that he would be leaving, granted the word choice may have been different but the end result was the same. This left me to battle the vicious cold with the hundreds of thousands that surrounded me; and so after a quick scan of the place I decided I would sleep at the foot of our nations phallic monument. I awoke at around 11:30 checked my now almost dead cellphone and decided that the two hour nap would have to be stopped as Obama-time was thirty minutes away.
I waited and eventually watched the speech itself, envying the warmth that that the Nehs was undoubtedly enjoying. Obamas speech would prove to be anything but celebratory as he let the nation know that together we would be weathering a storm; yet as I looked around the crowd stood silent(maybe too silent?). With that I realized Obama was telling the people the reality of the situation, there was not much sugarcoating of what he would like done and more of what he is planning to do. The only hope I have is that he will do as he said and help to put America back on track. After the speech I hustled to the exit and ended up getting pushed against a fence as people scrambled out of a 50 yard exit that was supposed to allow the entire crowd a clear exit. Unfortunately that was not the case and I would remain against a fence for the next hour and a half. All I can say is that I hope the Inauguration speaks more to the poor organization that took place during the Bush Administration(when it was planned), and not the Obama administration.
In closing I was walking by the White house today; a man and a woman were walking together and the woman turned and said "The White house sure does look pretty regardless of who does live there". The man then turned and said, "Yea, but it does look a little bit prettier now."

No comments: