Sunday, January 25, 2009

Inauguration 09

For me the 2009 inauguration was spent in the infamous "purple section" - or rather just outside of it. Arriving early in the morning to go wait in line with my friend Maggie, I was surrounded by what Graham described as "thousands of black faces, yellow faces, white faces. No pushing, no shoving". Well ok, there was a lot of pushing and shoving actually but everyone seemed excited to be a part of this historic moment.
About 4 hours later though, several thousand people in the tunnel realized that the line was not moving and that they would spend the inauguration underground. Not good. It turns out that the purple section had been shut down earlier due to a security breach.
However, I managed to escape the tunnel with Maggie in tow and we ended up right behind the gates looking onto the capitol building listening to Obama's speech.
I really enjoyed his speech and while it had a somber tone to it, it also was hopeful. I believe that his speech was a good indicator of the mindset that he is entering into the presidential office with and hopefully it will help him lead our country in a better direction.

No comments: