Sunday, May 8, 2011

Semester in Washington



I apologize for the delay in writing this, I have been in Pakistan.

Just kidding. Sort of.

Anyway, I had a fantastic semester in Washington in every fashion. After living in the city on and off for two years, it was fantastic to get the perspective of a student studying and working in DC rather than just working. By and large, I enjoyed the Pentagon tour the most. Being able to see such a massive enclave of employees from nearly every government agency was fascinating. The building itself is both expansive and intimidating, representative of a Department that needs more money for the necessary functions it performs. Yes, I said the DoD needs additional funding. Had to throw in a political comment somewhere.

Between visting the Pentagon, sitting in a room that Abe Lincoln sat in for his $5 bill portrait, and having the chance to take daily runs along Pennsylvania Avenue, I have to say that DC couldn't get much better. We had about three weeks of winter, and I wore a winter coat on only one day of the entire semester. I don't think I'd find that in Clinton.

Finally, I have to say that the debates we had in class every Thursday were by far my most enjoyable academic experience I've had at Hamilton. Not only did we all learn about current issues, but we all learned about the significance of putting forth a convincing and persuasive argument. I know, without a doubt, that my public speaking skills improved greatly because of the class.

In any case, thank you to Professor and the rest of the class for a great semester.

All the best,

Peter

No comments: