Sunday, January 25, 2009

Another Cold January Inauguration

I, like millions of other Americans, trekked through the crowds early Tuesday morning to see Obama’s “historical” inauguration. I found a spot next to the JumboTron a few hundred feet ahead of the Washington Monument and began waiting for Obama’s arrival. After what seemed like an eternity (and without my hat, which I believe was my downfall), the wintery conditions convinced me that I may not make it to 11:30 am. But with one look behind me, I knew I was going to. I had no choice – my exit strategy was completely blocked with people as far as my eyes could see.

When Obama finally delivered his inaugural speech, his words didn’t disappoint the crowd and resonated with me. I could see why so many people had come – he had the ability to take a crowd who had vigorously “booed” President Bush only moments before and transform them into a unified body ready for change. While I’m not convinced that President Obama’s economic stimulus plan will fulfill all of its goals, I do believe that he brings a new sense of hope and conviction.

Reading Philip Hamburger’s description of Clinton’s first inauguration reminded me to put this inauguration in perspective. At that time, DC also experienced the largest swell of inauguration visitors the city had ever seen. The citizens who stood on the mall were also filled with a sense of hope, of new beginnings. I agree with Charlie that the inauguration is just a beginning. Actions while in office define a president’s legacy, not necessarily their speeches on the election trail or the color of their skin. After Obama’s first executive orders, I can say that I was happy to have braced the cold to see him get sworn in as the 44th U.S. President. I look forward to how he will continue to lead our nation.

No comments: