Monday, October 22, 2012

Ex-Marine turned teacher: 'Stop demonizing me and my profession'/ The Washington Post

“I got tired of seeing kids as victims or criminals and went back to a school to try and help them from the other side of life. I became a teacher. I took a $24k per year pay cut for this privilege. I saddled myself with 20 years of student loans. I spend in excess of $1000 a year of my own money to provide equipment and student supplies so I can do my job effectively. I take every student in my class, whether it was the year I am doing inclusion teaching or the year I have the AP kids. I turn none away nor should I. As an American citizen, It’s my task and privilege to educate everyone who comes through my school’s door. I make progress with every student but that progress cannot always be measured by a standardized test. I feed some of my kids. I’ve bought them clothing. I’ve visited them in juvie, hospitals, hospices, and at the graveside. I’ve been praised, cussed, disrespected, honored and ignored by parents and administration.

Please help me do my job for your child and community. Stop demonizing me, my profession, and my fellow teachers.” The Washington Post

No comments: