Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sullenberger tells Congress: Pay cuts driving out best pilots

I was fortunate enough to attend the hearing in which the pilot, first officer, and flight attendants spoke in front of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure. It was amazing to see the heroes right before my eyes speaking about the events that occurred on that frightening January day. The air traffic controller Patrick Harten described how he tried to direct the flight to a nearby New Jersey airport and I could tell he was still feeling the effects of post traumatic stress disorder. The other topic discussed was the pay for pilots and how airline companies have not been able to give proper pension plans and payment options to their pilots. I was unaware that most pilots have to work second jobs simply to get by and make ends meet. Yet, I do not know how we can address this issue without talking about the labor for the auto industry as well.

No comments: